State of the World's Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2014: Case studies
Hate crime towards minorities and indigenous peoples is a daily reality in many countries across the globe, says Minority Rights Group International (MRG) in its annual report, but is often ignored by authorities.
The international organisation’s flagship report, State of the World's Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2014, focuses on ‘Freedom from hate’ and presents compelling evidence showing that hate crime and hate speech are prevalent in all regions of the world.
But hate crime is widely ignored, under-reported and often left unchecked by governments, resulting in escalating violence against minorities, says MRG in the report.
Click on the links below to read revealing case studies from around the world.
- Kenya/Tanzania - Defending land rights in the face of hate speech
- Legislating against and countering hate speech in East Africa
- The impact of violence on communities in Boma Sub-County, South Sudan
- Addressing the vulnerability of South Africa’s migrant communities
- The dangers of living as an undocumented migrant in Morocco
- Using radio as a tool for peace in Burundi
- Taking steps to promote peace and reconciliation in West Africa
- Countering racism in South American football
- Using street theatre to tackle discrimination in the Dominican Republic
- Drawing the line between hate speech and freedom of expression in Canada
- Countering hate content in Pakistan's school textbooks
- The role of civil society in countering hate speech in Burma
- Understanding the dynamic of communal riots against Muslims in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Using the internet to pre-empt hate speech in Kyrgyzstan
- Action against untouchability in Bangladesh
- Vietnam: raising awareness and challenging prejudice in the media
- The disturbing rise of hate speech against Koreans in Japan
- The unequal application of hate crime legislation in Hungary
- The experience of Central Asian migrants in Moscow, Russia
- Rising hostility against Bulgaria’s refugee population
- Ukraine fails to address hate crime against migrants and other groups
- Tackling Islamophobia in the United Kingdom
Middle East and North Africa
No Associated files
Categories:State of the World's Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2014